Requiring Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor
Respondus Product Suite - Respondus offers a variety of products including the following offered at Rutgers University-Newark:
- Respondus 4.0 is a tool that allows you to author and manage your assessments with Blackboard.
- LockDown Browser is a custom browser that literally locks down the online testing environment within Blackboard, preventing students from switching applications, printing, and taking screenshots as well as copying and pasting. Students are required to download and install the Respondus LockDown Browser on their personal computer or access it in an NCS computer lab.
- Respondus Monitor is a companion application for LockDown Browser that uses webcam and video technology to maintain the integrity of online exams for non-proctored testing environments. Although this is an automated solution, a student fee is involved and therefore requires notification in the syllabus and ideally in the Sections Notes on the University Schedule of Classes. A pilot opportunity is presently available, and we encourage you to contact ATS at firstname.lastname@example.org or 973-353-1713 for additional details.
After you have made the test available, or scheduled it to become available to students, click on Course Tools from the light grey Control Panel and then click Respondus LockDown Browser. If you've never used the tool before, review the video tutorials as well as the additional resources and then click Continue to LockDown Browser.
Click on the options menu to the left of the test name and select Settings
Select the radio button to the left of the Require Respondus LockDown Browser for this exam option.
If needed, add an optional password and/or Advanced Settings.
Click the Require Respondus Monitor for the exam radio button and then close the warning message.
Enable or Disable the Startup Sequence and re-order the events using drag-and-drop if needed.
Optional - Use the Advanced Settings for:
- Allowing the microphone to be used to record an audio response to an exam question. Generally the microphone is only used for recording ambient sound.
- Using LockDown Browser Monitor with your Student Preview account. The instructor's Student Preview account does not count require a purchase of an additional seat.
Click the Save + Close button. Your test will automatically be renamed with "(**Webcam**) - Requires Respondus LockDown Browser" at the end.